new here

David Milholen dmilholen at wletc.com
Mon Apr 23 03:05:23 UTC 2012

I am a Wisp admin and I have just configured a couple of new Bind9 servers.
They will resolve using dig google.com @9x.1xx.104.14
I am having some trouble getting them to answer themselves on 127.0.0.1
for example:

[root at ns4 named]# dig google.com @127.0.0.1 +trace

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-20.P1.el5 <<>> google.com @127.0.0.1 +trace
;; global options:  printcmd
[root at ns4 named]#

Here is an my config:
//
// named.conf for Red Hat caching-nameserver
//
controls {
     inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; rndc-key; };
};

options {
     directory "/var/named";
         dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
         statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
         /*
          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
          * port by default.
          */
          // query-source address * port 53;
version "Surely you must be joking";
         notify yes;
     allow-recursion {
         127.0.0.1;
         9x.1xx.104.0/22;
         9x.1xx.108.0/23;
         };
         allow-transfer { 9x.1xx.104.22;
                        };
     listen-on {
         9x.1xx.104.14;
         };
  };
//
logging {
     channel my_syslog {
         syslog kern;
         severity debug;
         };
     channel my_file {
         file "/var/named/chroot/var/named/log.msgs";
         severity dynamic;
         print-category yes;
         };
     category unmatched {
         null;
         };
     category queries {
         my_file;
         };
     category lame-servers {
         null;
         };
     category general {
         default_syslog;
         };
         };

// a caching only nameserver config
//

zone "." IN {
         type hint;
         file "root.servers";
};

zone "104.1xx.9x.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "/var/named/9x.1xx.104.rev";
     allow-transfer {
         9x.1xx.104.22;
         };
     };
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "/var/named/127.0.0.rev";
     };
zone "localdomain" {
     type master;
     file "/var/named/localdomain.hosts";
     };
zone "localhost" {
     type master;
     file "/var/named/localhost.hosts";
     };
key rndc-key {
     algorithm hmac-md5;
     secret "wh6DFiuNGJHzHwvNTy8JEA==";
     };

Here is my resolv.conf :
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 9x.1xx.104.14

Not sure what I broke but it seems to work on some of my older servers.
Thanks for any help.

--

David Milholen
Project Engineer