Delayed Zone Transfers?

Jiann-Ming Su su_js1 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 16:33:40 UTC 2012

Yeah, I've wondered about views.  We went to views to work around a MTA config issue.  The weird zone transfer performance seem to have coincided with our transition to views.  Here's my named.conf, FWIW:

view hc {
        match-clients      { 192.168.0.0/16; 10.236.0.0/16; };
        match-destinations { any; };
        include "/etc/named.zones";

        zone "s7a1.psmtp.com" {
                type slave;
                file "db.postini-s7a1";
                masters { dnsmgr; };
        };
        zone "s7a2.psmtp.com" {
                type slave;
                file "db.postini-s7a2";
                masters { dnsmgr; };
        };
        zone "s7b1.psmtp.com" {
                type slave;
                file "db.postini-s7b1";
                masters { dnsmgr; };
        };
        zone "s7b2.psmtp.com" {
                type slave;
                file "db.postini-s7b2";
                masters { dnsmgr; };
        };
};

view all {
        match-clients      { any; };
        match-destinations { any; };
        include "/etc/named.zones";
};

For the particular case I demonstrated in the previous email, I don't think views should have affected it as the default "all" view should have been hit.  And even the "hc" view, the data would be the same as we're only "spoofing" for the specific psmtp.com mail hosts.