SRV query with no domain?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 14:49:45 UTC 2012

On 15/08/12 15:42, Thomas Secula wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I hope this is the right list.. I am using bind 9.8.2on centos 6 with a
> system called openims. I am trying to get my bind server to respond to
> an SRV query of _sip._udp where the query has no domain.

Yuck. That's horrible. Are you *sure* that's what you want? You can't
set the "search" path on the client(s)?

> the openims folks that I should be able to get my bind to respond but I
> have been unable to.

DNS query names are all full-qualified.

If you *really* want to respond to the name "_sip._udp." (note the
trailing dot) you'll need a create a zone to contain the name. You can't
make bind qualify the name for you.

For example:

zone "_udp" {
   type master;
   file "_udp.zone";
};

...and in the zone:

_udp.      IN SOA ...
_sip._udp. IN SRV ...

But this is a bad thing to do; it might cause problems in a number of
ways down the road, and I strongly recommend you don't do it.

Get your clients to issue fully-qualified DNS name - preferably by
actually querying a fully-qualified name, alternatively by putting:

search your.domain.com

...in /etc/resolv.conf or the system equivalent.