Version statement...

Carsten Strotmann cas at strotmann.de
Fri Aug 17 11:38:54 UTC 2012

Jeff Justice <listaccount at starionline.com> writes:

Hi Jeff,

> I am trying to mask our DNS servers version output to a custom string,
> but it doesn't seem to be working for me.  In a nutshell, I have added
> this to my options block of my named.conf:
>
>    version "[DNS Server]";
>
> But when I do a query, it still shows the actual version number
> i.e. BIND 9.9.1-P2, both from the command line and from an outside
> query tool.
>
> What am I missing?

make sure BIND can load the changed configuration file "named.conf",
test with "named-checkconf" and check the BIND nameserver logfiles for
errors. The issue here is probably that the running nameserver does not
read the configuration file. Also check if there is more than one
"named" process running (should be only one in most installations).

-- Carsten