2 dns records for same server

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Aug 20 12:56:56 UTC 2012

That is to say don't put the external servers in /etc/resolv.conf on your clients - only put the internal one there.  (Or the Windows equivalent setup should only see your internal DNS server.)

I would correct the prior post not to say "EVER" but rather "not directly".   Often in an internal/external configuration only the "external" server queries the internet and the internal one forwards requests it gets to the external one.   It doesn't matter if the external server the internal DNS server is pointing to also has records for the domains because the internal server would already have answered for the domains it is authoritative for before trying to forward.   We have internal/external setup here for one domain and have no problems doing this.   (Oddly enough we also have views but that's another story...)