How to validate SRV record?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Aug 23 23:01:15 UTC 2012

On 8/23/2012 3:49 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to say that it's pretty clear that it *restricts* what a
> Service Label may contain. It's even a "MUST".

Sure, but you're omitting the (typically unstated) part of the MUST, "a
compliant implementation." So it depends on the OP's purpose. Is it to
"validate" what will work on the wire, or to validate what is likely to
be accepted outside of their organization? There are a non-zero number
of special-purpose SRV records in use that aren't related to published
service names. Where do you draw the line?

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what