Multiple BIND instances

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Feb 7 08:17:59 UTC 2012

On 06.02.12 23:09, sasa sasa wrote:
>I got a server with 16GB memory, want to install 2 BIND on CentOS, one
> cache only and another authoritative.

> Is it better to install 2 OS virtually and run BIND in them or run 2
> instances of BIND on the same OS?

According to what I've heard, virtualization has quite high overhead in
such situations.

> I mean what is the best practice to take advantage of the hardware
> resources without risking having single DNS with cache and
> authoritative?

You still have one server, virtualization would not change much about
this.

You can even run a single BIND instance with two separate views and
that should not affect functionality.

I suppose you are running 64bit OS, so you can have really huge cache
(>4GB)

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.