Getting a formerr 'invalid response' for winqual.microsoft.com. but dig +trace works.

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Fri Feb 10 00:42:07 UTC 2012

> It's because a few load balancer vendors don't read freely available specifications but instead appear to reverse engineer the protocol and get it wrong.

> BIND 9.7.0 fixed a long standing of accepting glue promoted to answer by parent nameservers.  Once we did that there was no need to accept none "aa" answers from servers that have been listed as being authoritative for the zone.  This allowed the resolver to ignore broken authoritative servers.

> This got relaxed in later release of BIND 9.7.

It's fairly easy for me to deploy a VM and build a particular version of bind. Below is your query run on 9.7.0-P1 and 9.7.4-P1. It fails on the former and succeeds on the latter, as suggested by Mark Andrews above. Are you in a position to upgrade bind? Jeff.

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @localhost winqual.partners.extranet.microsoft.com.
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 28201
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;winqual.partners.extranet.microsoft.com. IN A

;; Query time: 1744 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Feb  9 19:36:51 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 57

; <<>> DiG 9.7.4-P1 <<>> @localhost winqual.partners.extranet.microsoft.com.
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;winqual.partners.extranet.microsoft.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
winqual.partners.extranet.microsoft.com. 10 IN A 131.107.97.31

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
partners.extranet.microsoft.com. 3600 IN NS     dns11.one.microsoft.com.
partners.extranet.microsoft.com. 3600 IN NS     dns12.one.microsoft.com.
partners.extranet.microsoft.com. 3600 IN NS     dns10.one.microsoft.com.
partners.extranet.microsoft.com. 3600 IN NS     dns13.one.microsoft.com.

;; Query time: 668 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Feb  9 19:15:58 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 157