Efficacy of using short timeout values for an A record

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:21:19 UTC 2012

Mac OS X imposes a 60 second minimum on TTLs, or at least it did at one time. I am unaware of any other client OS having such a restriction.

Client software does not always respect TTLs, though. It's entirely possible for a client application to completely ignore the TTL value and continue to connect (and reconnect as needed) to whatever address was first retrieved via the stub resolver.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks