block ddns by name

Melbinger Christian Christian.Melbinger at wienit.at
Thu Feb 16 13:07:00 UTC 2012

Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent the creation of certain records - by name?
Basically I want to prevent the creation of "localhost" and "internal" on my internal zone. (looks like SAP has a problem if there is a localhost A-rec pointing to another ip than 127.0.0.1) (and MS AD if there is any internal.internal.mycompany.com A-rec)

As a workaround I could create a localhost-entry pointing to 127.0.0.1 and set dhcp to not overwrite any record. But this would not help with the internal rec, because such one simply must not exist.

Config:
Clients are not allowed to perform any ddns updates, the dhcp performs these. So I could filter in dhcp or bind

Currently running:
BIND 9.7.3-P3
DHCP 3.1-ESV-R3

Soon upgrading to:
BIND 9.7.4-P1
DHCP 4.1-ESV-R4

Thanks for any help

And DO NOT ASK who calls their machines localhost or internal - i don't even want to know.

---
Ing. Christian Melbinger
Netzwerk & Security

WienIT EDV Dienstleistungsgesellschaft mbH & Co KG
A-1030 Wien, Thomas-Klestil-Platz 6
tel: +43 (1) 90405 47188
fax: +43 (1) 90405 88 47188
mailto:christian.melbinger at wienit.at

WienIT EDV Dienstleistungsgesellschaft mbH & Co KG, A-1030 Wien, Thomas-Klestil-Platz 6,
FN 255974h, Handelsgericht Wien, DVR: 2109667, UID-Nr. ATU61260824
Persönlich haftender Gesellschafter:
WienIT EDV Dienstleistungsgesellschaft mbH, A-1030 Wien, Thomas-Klestil-Platz 6,
FN 255649f, Handelsgericht Wien, UID-Nr. ATU61296118