About root zones

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jan 2 10:42:32 UTC 2012

On 22.12.11 11:54, Peter Andreev wrote:
>Of course I turned it off, it's normal practice for slaves, I assume.

even sending notifies by slaves can have a reason. for example, other
slaves not getting notifies from master...

>> Do you think if server needed to resolve something, and you would disable
>> it, it would work better? I think just the oposite. If a server does lookups
>> only when needed, then disabling required lookups would make it not working.

>I think that if server is authoritative - and - slave-only it should
>use system resolver rather than querying by itself.

BIND will not use system resolver. BIND is the resolver. Relying on
other resolver could cause troubles. If BIND does not need to resolve,
it will not. If it needs, don't block it.

>Where can I find information about what causes queries for internal
>duties? If it can be found in ARM, could you please point me to the
>right chapter. May be I missed something while reading it. The only
>mention I have met is that additional resolving is needed for sending
>notifies (And will this resolving be performed in case of list of
>slaves' ip addresses is written in named.conf?).

Someone other will have to answer this.
Spam = (S)tupid (P)eople's (A)dvertising (M)ethod