About root zones

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jan 4 13:45:37 UTC 2012

michoski at cisco.com wrote on 01/03/2012 04:54:51 PM:

> Maybe it's because I started in networking...  But TCP/IP (or IPv6 these
> days) is quite the "subsystem" to avoid.  Really, like it or not, you
are
> actually responsible for understanding interactions with "subsystems"
your
> managed system must interact with.  ;-)

Yes, unfortunately we sometimes have to rely on systems and sub-systems
maintained by others.  But in order to stick to the Principles of Least
Astonishment, it is easier to rely on those systems under our own control.
 Otherwise someone else will astonish us with their "brilliance".

I manage the DNS and the spam filters here.  Without warning (I know a
separate issue), the network was changed causing problems between the spam
filters and the DNS servers.  Took me 2 days to figure out what was casing
email to fail.

I cannot chose what network to use.  I can choose what resolver to use.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.