IPv4 & IPv6 Queries

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 6 13:25:58 UTC 2012

On 06/01/12 13:05, Brian Hamacher wrote:
> I would like to configure my DNS Server to respond with A and AAAA
> records when someone queries for a specific site. I don’t know if this
> functionality is even available but if it is would someone mind pointing
> me in the right direction to get this configured.

This isn't quite how DNS works.

The clients makes a request for one or both of an A or AAAA record, in
*separate* DNS requests.

You don't really "configure" a DNS server to respond with "A and AAAA".
Instead, you ensure the zonefile has A and AAAA records for the name. e.g.

www.test.com.	IN	A	192.0.2.1
www.test.com.	IN	AAAA	2001:db8::1