Help to identify Microsoft DNS version

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jan 11 00:10:41 UTC 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:00 PM, michoski wrote:

> On 1/9/12 11:38 PM, "babu dheen" <babudheen at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>> Can anyone help me how to find bind & microsoft DNS software version using
>> dig or nslookup command remotely?
>
> There are various fingerprinting methods you can use, with widely varying
> degrees of accuracy, but the most polite way is to use the SOA:
>
> $ dig @ns1.example.com example.com soa +short
> ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. [...]
>
> The second field is actually an email address, you can try to start there.
> Here we would mail hostmaster at example.com and hopefully get a response.
>
> Failing that, maybe more explanation of what you are trying to accomplish
> would help us help you?

+1

Understanding why you want to do this will help answer the question.

For bind -- some nameservers will response to version.bind CHOAS TXT messages with *something*:

$ dig CHAOS TXT version.bind @d.root-servers.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> CHAOS TXT version.bind @d.root-servers.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.		0	CH	TXT	"9.8.1-P1"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
version.bind.		0	CH	NS	version.bind.

;; Query time: 109 msec
;; SERVER: 128.8.10.90#53(128.8.10.90)
;; WHEN: Tue Jan 10 19:02:08 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 65

What they reply with is whatever is configured in the zone file, so what is reported is often (intentionally or not) unrelated to what is actually running.

P.S: authors.bind.   CHAOS  TXT "are better coders than I. :)"