best practices for two-location DDNS for a single domain

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Jan 13 01:28:09 UTC 2012

On 01/12/2012 17:04, Chris McCraw wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Due to a variety of semi-political issues in our environment, we're
> looking for a way to implement the following:
>
> - 2 locations with standalone-capable local nameservers which serve
> the same domain (ie, in case of network failure between them, we want
> them both to go on working as authoritative for the domain for local
> clients.)
> - using dynamic dns (client updates) in two locations for that same
> domain.  Updates from either master need to be visible to clients of
> each master, though a slight lag in syncing would be acceptable.

To the extent that I understand what you're trying to accomplish, the
safest solution is to use a separate master server with reliable
connectivity to both locations, and have the authoritative servers at
the locations slave the zone from it.

If you cannot guarantee reliable connectivity then the alternate
solution would be to have each location dynamically update a subzone,
and then they slave from each other. I don't understand your reasons why
you think that's not an option, but if you can expand on your concerns
perhaps we can address them.

Doug

--

	You can observe a lot just by watching.	-- Yogi Berra