load balance of DNS

David Klein root at nachtmaus.us
Fri Jan 13 15:37:06 UTC 2012

With stock DNS, no; all you can do is recommend by ordering the responses.
But there are solutions. There are load-balancing DNS servers (they have a
pool of responses, and hand out an answer of that pool, based on rules, and
can even remove an answer from the pool if a watchdog/monitor fails). F5
GTM and Cisco GSS are examples, but you need to talk with the vendor or a
VAR to help you to understand some of the nuances and complexities of doing
this way.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar at fantomas.sk>wrote:

> On 13.01.12 22:40, MyDots.net wrote:
>
>> Is there a good way of running the current BIND (9.7 and later) for load
>> balancing a special record?
>> for example,
>>
>> www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.1
>> www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.2
>>

> kind of.
>

>  I want the first one to get more web traffic than the second one.
>>

> With DNS you can only hint clients to send their requests by sorting
> provided RRs in particular order. You can not be sure that they will
> preserve the order and that they will send their requests to different
> servers. In fact, most of clients take first server and will communicate
> with it.
>

>  I know other 4 or 7 layer software (like LVS and Nginx) can do that, but
>> also want to know if BIND supports this.
>>

> better get such solution then...
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> Remember half the people you know are below average.

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?