Fwd: forwarding "@" to a different domain?

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 13 17:49:56 UTC 2012

> Hi All: I have a situation where I need to forward requests for
> "mydomain.com"
> and "www.mydomain.com" to a third party:
> "mydomain.myshopify.com" (while still
> pointing other things like MX records elsewhere).
>
> I realize I can point a CNAME for "WWW" to "mydomain.myshopify.com",
> but how do
> I point "mydomain.com" to this third party if there is no A record
> to point to?

BTW, you could say that the DNS can do its part with SRV records (on a
port-by-port basis), but that doesn't do any good since current
browsers don't look up and use such DNS records.

_http._tcp.mydomain.com. SRV 1 1 80 mydomain.myshopify.com.
_http._tcp.www.mydomain.com. SRV 1 1 80 mydomain.myshopify.com.

John Wobus