Defense against a client?

Roel Wagenaar roel at wagenaar.nu
Mon Jan 16 10:49:46 UTC 2012

"Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de> wrote:

>     Hi,
>
>     I have a problem with the load on my Bind. Normally it's fine, but from
time to time there are clients which causes through a misconfiguration or a
failed local service (not intentionally) a very high amount of queries. After
finding and informing the responsible person this problem is mostly solved in
short time.

>     One of these cases my DNS server can handle, but sometimes there is more
than one of these cases at the same time and I have a load problem which causing
problems for all clients of my DNS servers.

>     My question:
>     Is there any possibility in Bind to give a quoata to a client? e.g. that
from a given IP no more than houndred queries per second are allowed and the
rest is to be blackholed.

>     That way only the client causing the load would have a problem but not all
other clients.

>     Is there such a possibility? I found nothing in the documentation. Or are
there other ways to achive this? How do you guys do this?

>     Tom.

In this case iptables is your friend.

One of my solutions is partly based on this:

http://codingfreak.blogspot.com/2010/01/iptables-rate-limit-incoming.html

adapted to the proper ports etc. of course.

--
Roel Wagenaar,
Linux-User #469851 with the Linux Counter; http://linuxcounter.net/

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.