load balance of DNS

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jan 16 18:20:35 UTC 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <mailman.826.1326465946.68562.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> Simon <simon at bk.it.cx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sure it is.
>>
>> Here a more detailed version:
>> http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/rr.html
>
> RR usually results in roughly equal load balancing.  He said he wants
> one of the addresses to get MORE traffic than the other.  How do you
> propose he specify the ratios with BIND?

One (icky) solution is to hand out more addresses for one server than the other…

www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.1
www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.2
www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.1.3
www.example.com  IN  A  192.168.2.1

Bind 192.168.1.[1-3] to server1 and 192.168.2.1 to server2.

server1 should now get kinda roughly 3 time as much traffic as server2 (depending on number of clients, phase of moon, flavor of ice-cream, etc).
Horrendously icky, waste of space, etc but…