built in empty zones default setting and log messages

btb at bitrate.net btb at bitrate.net
Tue Jan 17 21:15:26 UTC 2012

hi-

in the arm, it says "empty-zones-enable Enable or disable all empty zones. By default, they are enabled".  as such, i've not include this directive in my config, expecting it to be enabled by default.  when starting bind via its init script [effectively /usr/sbin/named -u bind -4], there is no mention regarding built in empty zones in my debug.log file.  but - when subsequently running rndc reload or rndc reconfig, named says:

general: warning: Warning: view default: 'empty-zones-enable/disable-empty-zone' not set: disabling RFC 1918 empty zones

why does it not seem to complain about this when initially started?
i'm a little confused about the message itself as well.  the list of built in empty zones enumerated in the arm [page 79 of my copy] does not contain any defined in rfc 1918, so i would not expect them to ever be enabled, regardless of what a related setting might be.  am i misinterpreting something?

regards
-ben