bind9.9.0rc2 inline signing tests

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Tue Jan 31 22:08:48 UTC 2012

>> 2. Prior to the second test, in an attempt to get rid of the journal
>> files, I issued the command "rndc sync -clear jaspain.net". This
>> generated an error "rndc: 'sync' failed: unknown class/type. I found
>> that "rndc sync" and "rndc sync jaspain.net" both worked, so I think
>> rndc just doesn't recognize the -clear parameter as described in the
>> rndc usage message. With the journal files still present, I decided to
>> use "rndc freeze jaspain.net" prior to the next test.

> It's supposed to be rndc sync -clean, not -clear.  I thought we'd fixed that, darn it...

Also, for consideration along with a fix to the usage message, it would be more clear if the error message error "rndc: 'sync' failed: unknown class/type" could be changed to something like "rndc: 'sync' failed: unknown option -clear". Apparently, using the above example, rndc's parameter parser regards "-clear" as the zone name and "jaspain.net" as the class name. As I read RFC 1035, domain names can't begin with a hyphen, so rndc should in theory be able to correctly discern this error.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School