BIND, DNSSEC & AD

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Jul 1 00:52:31 UTC 2012

If you don't want to run named on Windows, it supports dynamic updates with
GSS-TSIG + DNSSEC.

In message <4FEED285.7060103 at strotmann.de>, "Carsten Strotmann (private)" writes:
> Hello John,
>
> On 6/29/12 4:52 PM, John Williams wrote:
> > The purpose behind this is not to protect the internal AD DNS from
> > hijacking.  But rather to allow internal clients to run DNSSEC
> > related queries without having to reference external resolvers.
> >
> > dig +dnssec somedomain
> >

> I have documented the steps to enable DNSSEC validation on Windows
> 2012 in my Blog:
> <http://strotmann.de/roller/dnsworkshop/entry/dnssec_validation_in_microsoft_dns>
>
> Keep in mind that DNSSEC requires that the authoritative and the
> resolving/caching DNS servers to be separate.
>
> Clients will not see the AD-Flag (Authenticated Data) for a zone that
> is hosted on the same DNS Server you've sending a recursive query to.
> Applications that depend on the AD flag will fail in this scenario.

It requires a little more configuration but they can see the AD flag.

Two views:
view 1.  match-recursive-only yes; + static stubs zones pointing at
	127.0.0.1 for the local zones + dnssec configured and enabled.
view 2.  normal authoritative only view.