erros on slave "server refresh: unexpected rcode (NXDOMAIN)"

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 24 03:55:45 UTC 2012

In article <mailman.1432.1343097065.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Gregory Machin <gdm at linuxpro.co.za> wrote:

> Hi.
> I have a bind 9 primary server and a bind 9 secondary server, I added
> a new sub domain to the primary and as a slave zone on the secondary.
> i have obviously missed something. What does :
>
> named[13931]: zone domain.example.com/IN: refresh: unexpected rcode
> (NXDOMAIN) from master 209.234.97.14#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)
> mean ??
>
> As far as the primary server logs goes there is nothing that indicates
> an issue .
>
> Thanks

This looks like it means that when the slave performs the SOA query for
domain.example.com, the master replies with an NXDOMAIN error,
indicating that the name domain.example.com doesn't exist. I think you
have a typo in one of your named.conf files, so the zone names aren't
matching.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA