Recommended value for max-cache-size for cache-only shared hosts..

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Jun 1 11:39:25 UTC 2012

On 31.05.12 22:26, blr maani wrote:
>  hmmm.. 75%-85% seems too large because the host runs email application in
>addition to cache-and-forward-only BIND (for better local caching). So, I
>was wondering if there are any best/proven practice/recommendations for
>such shared application hosts ?
>
>The default value is 32MB. We have 8GB RAM. I don't know if its better to
>start with 1GB (1/8th of RAM)?

I was thinking of this when the default was changed to 32M. I changed
it intentionally to 0 to see how much will memory usage grow.

I can tell you that on one of our servers where named uses most memory,
it currently uses 1359868 VSZ and 732852 RSS after 38 days with ~432
queries per second.

I have even increased max-ttl and max-negative-ttl to see if it affects
memory usage.
Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.