Problem with recursive name server

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jun 8 20:13:25 UTC 2012

Hi--

On Jun 8, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Mike Bobkiewicz wrote:
> we are running an authorative name server for some domains. After some time our ISP has now delegated the reverse name lookups to our server. We are running bind 9.7.3 on Mac OS X 10.6 and are not able to bring the reverse name lookups to life. The master db-file is loaded and we  to set the allow-recursive { any; }; option in the named.conf but it still doesn´t work. We are getting RFC 1912 2.1 with some mail servers which is the biggest problem. Which additional options must be set in the named.conf to make the reverse name lookups for our domains work?

Mailservers doing a double-reverse lookup try to validate that your IP has a PTR record which returns a name that a normal forward lookup finds, and gives back the original IP.

Give us an example of a bad hostname or IP, and we can probably tell you what aspect isn't working right...

Regards,
--
-Chuck