How to handle zones that need to be the same in all views?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 12 03:41:33 UTC 2012

In article <mailman.1002.1339459440.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Max Bowsher <_ at maxb.eu> wrote:

> That won't help me for slave zones:
>
> * the zones get needlessly re-transferred once for each view

Unless they're huge, so what?

> * the files on disk will be repeatedly overwritten as bind tries to save
> the zone data separately for each zone, to the same filename

Again, so what?

> * bind will only act on a notify for the view that receives it, leaving
> all the other views serving stale data for the zone

So the masters don't have all the different views?  Maybe it would be
easier to use periodic file transfers of the zone files.  Then configure
your server as a master rather than a slave.  You could then point to
the same zone files in all the views as well, so you would only have to
transfer the zone once.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA