limiting number of requests of a single hosts

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jun 15 11:28:20 UTC 2012

Holemans Wim <wim.holemans at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> I have 2 questions, one, is there a way  to rate-limit the amount of
> request a single client (the AD servers in this case) can have standing
> out against a bind server ? Kind of rate-limiting parameter for bind
> name server.

There isn't a way to do this in BIND. If you are running on Linux you
might try the iptables hashlimit module,
http://www.bortzmeyer.org/rate-limiting-dns-open-resolver.html

(The recently announced response rate limiting patch won't work for you
since it takes effect too late in the resolution process.
http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits)

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your other question.

Tony.
Plymouth, Northwest Biscay: Southwesterly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 in
Plymouth. Rough or very rough, occasionally high in west Plymouth. Showers.
Good, occasionally poor.