Moving DNS out of non-cooperative provider

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Jun 18 16:34:51 UTC 2012

Just to verify - when you say "old provider" you're just talking about somewhere you had pointed your DNS records to and NOT the actual Registrar for the domain?

If it is the Registrar you have to make changes at the Registrar's site to change which DNS servers to use.  If they're not being cooperative that might be problematical.  (I wouldn't think they'd prevent you from changing which DNS servers to use for your domain - even the putzes that like to lock domains when you try to transfer to a registrar still allow you to control your DNS setup within their sites but I guess it's possible they could do it if they were also your hosting provider and didn't want you pointing away from their web servers.)