Truncated DNS message over UDP

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:20:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, Sebastiano Di Paola wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> before sending this email I tried do some seaches on this topic, but
> no luck so far...so before bothering bind-workers here's my question
>
> I was wondering if a configuration option exists in order to force
> bind server to send a "minimal (from size and number of returned
> record point of view)" response in case the trucated bit is set in the
> header.

See if "minimal-responses yes" does what you want.

If I'm recalling correctly, it applies to all responses, not just those which
would be truncated.

It can cause more subsequent queries, to get the information which would have
been in the first response, but they'll probably all be UDP which might be
better than fallback to TCP.