rndc status number of zones

Emil Natan shlyoko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:20:35 UTC 2012

Hi list,

I have a test environment with 3 VMs running different versions of BIND -
9.7.3-P3, 9.8.1-P1 and 9.9.0rc1. On all 3 machines "rndc status" reports
unrealistic "number of zones:". For example, when the zones configured at
named.conf are 3, the number reported is "number of zones: 18" and when the
zones are 7, then I get "number of zones: 41". Here is mine "named.zones"
configuration file, part of named.conf (included into it). There are no
other "zone" statements in named.conf:

========== named.zones ===========
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/root.hints";
};

zone "net.ttt" {
        type master;
        file "net.ttt.zone";
};

zone "vvv.ttt" {
        type master;
        file "vvv.ttt.zone";
        notify explicit;
        also-notify { 10.0.130.118; };
        allow-transfer { 10.0.130.118; };
};

If I comment the "zone . { ... };" part and then reconfig/reload/restart,
the number reported by "rndc status" remains unchanged. If I comment any
other zone statement, the number reported decrease accordingly, when all
commented, the number reported is 16.
Do any of you experience the same issue? Any ideas what I'm missing or
what's wrong?

Thanks,

ena