Cisco ACE config for internal DNS load balancing

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 16:39:53 UTC 2012

On 09/03/12 16:23, Matthew Huff wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions/best practices/config examples for DNS load
> balancing for internal use on CISCO ACE blades?
>
> I’ve got the standard example working, but wondered about keepalive
> frequency, timeouts, fragments, etc…
>
> Anyone got any examples they use that they could share?

We do transparent LB; the servers all have the service VIP as a /32 on
their loopback interface. The packet flow is:

Req: client -> ace -> dns server
Rsp: dns server -> client

This has the advantage that the DNS servers don't have to sit "behind"
the ACE.

We then use this config:

probe tcp TCP_53_RECDNS
   ip address <the service VIP>
   port 53
   interval 10
serverfarm host INTERNAL-DNS
   transparent
   predictor leastconns
   probe TCP_53_RECDNS
   rserver RSERVER1 53
     inservice
   rserver RSERVER2 53
     inservice
   rserver RSERVER3 53
     inservice
   rserver RSERVER4 53
     inservice

class-map match-any VIP_RECURSIVE-DNS
   2 match virtual-address <the service VIP> udp eq domain
   3 match virtual-address <the service VIP> tcp eq domain
policy-map type loadbalance first-match SLB_INTERNAL-DNS
   class class-default
     serverfarm INTERNAL-DNS

policy-map multi-match VIPS_VLANXX
   class VIP_RECURSIVE-DNS
     loadbalance vip inservice
     loadbalance policy SLB_INTERNAL-DNS
     loadbalance vip icmp-reply
     loadbalance vip advertise

We didn't fiddle with the keepalive, probes, or anything else. It's been
very well behaved in this config.