nslookup fails if missing PTR record for IPv6 DNS server.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Mar 16 16:11:13 UTC 2012

>On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM, G.W. Haywood <bind at jubileegroup.co.uk>wrote:
>> You didn't tell the OP what to use instead of nslookup!

sorry :-)

On 16.03.12 19:33, Ashok Agarwal wrote:
>If PTR is present then it works pretty well. My concern is without PTR
>record.
>Ya I can use "dig" instead to nslookup

you can also use "host", as it simpler and usually gives you what you
need, unless you need to debug DNS itself.

>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>> the main problem is nslookup itself, and this is just one of
>>> reasons nslookup is not recommended for use.
[...]
> but I need to fix it in nslookup as
>well.
>If anybody has any clue or can tell how it be fixed then it will really
>help me and it be highly appreciated.

I have it already explained: It's a problem of nslookup. Either you
will have the PTR, or you will have the error. No other way.

There are too many different versions of "nslookup" program within
different systems, made by different perogrammers.  It's just useless
to "fix" nslookup, because that is how nslookup works and that's why we
advise you to use "host" or "dig".

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.