"rndc reconfig" vs. "rndc reload"

Mark Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Mar 19 20:49:10 UTC 2012

Yeah, I'm familiar with the improvements to "reconfig".  You all have answered my questions.

To be clear, the issue was that "reload" by itself was taking way too long.  We have already implemented changes for when the *list of zones* has not changed, we do "reload <zone>" for each individually-changed zone file.  But I was wondering what to do if we have a *new zone* added to named.conf.

I've learned from the various responses that the best solution is just "rndc reconfig" with BIND 9.9.  It will cause minimum downtime and will pick up the new zones without having to subsequently do "rndc reload <new zone>".