reverse dns for IPV6 ranges

michoski michoski at cisco.com
Mon Mar 19 21:44:46 UTC 2012

On 3/19/12 11:58 AM, "Peter Andreev" <andreev.peter at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/19 hugo hugoo <hugobxl at hotmail.com>
>>  Jay,
>>
>> - Can you give me an example of such configuration?
>>
>> As anyone else some examples of IPV6 reverse configuration used in
>> production environment?
>>
>> Thanks for sharing your experience...
>
> We use IPv6 in production environment. It was a real headache to fill
> reverse ip6.arpa zones by hand until I have learned about "arpaname"
> utility. Since that maintaining reverse IPv6 zones is just a piece of cake.

Hmm...  Yes, well I can see this as useful (though not much more than a few
lines of any programming language?) if you intend to maintain generic
placeholders...but not if you want RFC-compliant matching A/PTR.  Granted,
you should not drop mail in such cases, but many do.  I guess tools and best
practices take time to catch up to technological leaps.  ;-)

Or do you actually create A's matching your generic PTR and heavily rely on
CNAMEs?  Of course that simply won't do for some standard RR types.

As much as I dislike djb in general, the way tinydns auto-creates matching
PTR (and also provides a mechanism to disable as needed) for each A RR kinda
makes sense.  Granted, it doesn't do IPv6 at all without 3rd-party
hacks...but they do at least exist.

--
All his life he has looked away... to the horizon, to the sky,
to the future.  Never his mind on where he was, on what he was doing.