Name Resolution issue with one domain

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Mar 20 22:23:57 UTC 2012

Stupid firewall rules in front of the nameservers.  They block
traffic sent from port 53 which is the port lots of nameservers
used to send query traffic.  When will firewall administrators learn
that the source ports can be anything, that they are not significant,
and that blocking traffic based on the source port is stupid.

Mark

bsdi# dig -b 0.0.0.0#53 www.dubaiairport.com @svr-b003.dubaiairport.com
09:13:17.909493 211.30.172.21.53 > 213.42.52.75.53:  18071+$ [1au] A? www.dubaiairport.com. ar: OPT UDPsize=4096 (49)
09:13:22.918018 211.30.172.21.53 > 213.42.52.75.53:  18071+$ [1au] A? www.dubaiairport.com. ar: OPT UDPsize=4096 (49)