masters ordering in named.conf

Eric Chandler Eric.Chandler at vonage.com
Fri Mar 23 17:54:33 UTC 2012

I have a question with regards to ordering of masters in slave zones.  In the example below, will the slave zone try these in order each and every time? In other words, I'm hoping the each time a zone transfer is started by this slave, will it always try 10.250.250.115 first, and if that doesn't work, try 10.60.50.50, then 10.60.50.51......., or does it choose at random?

zone "example.net" {

        type slave;

        file "zones/example.net";

        masters {

            10.250.250.115;

            10.60.50.50;

            10.60.50.51;

            1.2.3.4;

            5.6.7.8;

            10.10.10.10;

        };

};

Thanks,

Eric Chandler

Systems Architect

23 Main Street, Holmdel, NJ 07733

(: 732.203.7437

(: 732.284.8504 (iPhone)

*: Eric.Chandler at vonage.com <mailto:Eric.Chandler at vonage.com>

þ: www.vonage.com <http://www.vonage.com/>

NOTE: The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely

for review and use by the named recipient.  Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this

message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message