DNS Format error ...

Tim Kelley tim at c4tech.com
Wed Mar 28 14:44:14 UTC 2012

We've been having this issues with neweggbusiness.com - it seems the A rec for neweggbusiness.com is round robin load balanced:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN A 216.52.208.154
neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN A 204.14.213.154

;; ANSWER SECTION:
neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN NS dns2.magnellmail.net.
neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN NS dns1.magnellmail.net.

... and "www.neweggbusiness.com" is an actual zone delegated to a different set of name servers

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN NS ns14b.newegg.com.
www.neweggbusiness.com. 3600 IN NS ns13b.newegg.com.

The website uses links with both these names, and much of it doesn't work when using our bind server for recursive queries - the A rec for "www.neweggbusiness.com" does not resolve using my bind9 server (DNS format error), but does return if I query the NS for neweggbusiness.com directly (below). I see this is not an authoritative answer, which it should be for the A record, no? The zone delegation and the A rec for www.neweggbusiness.com should both exist on the NS for parent zone, right? Is this the problem? If I dig against the NS for "www.neweggbusiness.com" I get an aa flag, but I should get an aa flag from the nameservers for the parent zone on that same query, I think. Nevertheless, the site works for most people - google's nameserver (8.8.8.8) seems to have no problem with it, for example.

querying the NS for neweggbusiness.com -

dig @216.52.208.156 www.neweggbusiness.com a

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @216.52.208.156 www.neweggbusiness.com a
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.neweggbusiness.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.neweggbusiness.com. 1348 IN A 216.52.208.168

;; Query time: 61 msec
;; SERVER: 216.52.208.156#53(216.52.208.156)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 28 09:29:50 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 56

Tim Kelley
tim at c4tech.com