Host command timing out sporadically

Paul Marais paul at grayv.com
Wed May 2 21:36:38 UTC 2012

Thanks Lyle,
You're right - I started using the host command because it was giving me the error I found in the postfix logs...
but as I just discovered dig +trace also give me the error...

I am seeing lots of mailed messages to gmail accounts... and when I do a trace I get the following:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> +trace mx gmail.com
;; global options: +cmd
.			501632	IN	NS	m.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	c.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	h.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	b.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	e.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	j.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	k.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	g.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	f.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	i.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	l.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	a.root-servers.net.
.			501632	IN	NS	d.root-servers.net.
;; Received 320 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) in 0 ms

If I leave the trace off, I see no error messages... but I get no answer and I do see a warning:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> mx gmail.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 5
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available