dynamic update to SOA records

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 4 01:25:39 UTC 2012

In message <f771e61acd065e9d65064d44e69d1bd2 at mail.mxes.net>, cloud cache writes
:
>  But, how will I know the current serial number of the zone, if the zone
>  has been changing frequently?
>  Thank you.

You ask the master for the current SOA, add a small number to the
serial then send, then check the result by requerying the master.
Look at the fields you want to change not the serial when checking.
The examples so far have a small number as 1 but it can be anything
less than 2^31-1 and NO, I DO NOT RECOMMEND adding 2^31-1 to the
serial when doing this.  Script it.  If serial + 1, doesn't work
re-try with serial + 2, then serial + 3, etc.  Eventually you will
hit a increment that is bigger that the average update rate.  Note
I would not go above serial + 100.

Mark