Inline Signing does not update SOA?

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Mon May 7 14:31:23 UTC 2012

> When I update the SOA record of the master zone file, if I reload the zone with "rndc reload", the SOA record is updated. If I perform a stop/start of the named executable, the SOA change is not updated.

Ralph: There was a lot of discussion about this issue on the bind forum around the first of the year. My recollection is that with inline-signing enabled, stopping named, editing the zone file, and restarting named isn't a supported method of updating zone data. I am aware of two supported options: 1) as you did above, edit the zone file and run 'rndc reload', 2) use 'nsupdate'. Others will probably recall this in more detail and more accurately. Regards, Jeff.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School