Secondary Master

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Fri May 11 15:27:46 UTC 2012

John  wrote on 05/11/2012 11:05:58 AM:

> I found this article about setting up a secondary master.
> This may be useful as we are bringing up a disaster recovery site.
> The author explains that the zone type should be ?slave?? so it can
> receive db updates from the normal master.
> Seems like that makes it a slave instead of a master for that zone?
> We are also looking at the app rsync for db transfers so we will
> have mirrored masters, IP traffic separated by routers.
> Thanks
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/dns-configuration.html

What they describe is a typical slave server.  I wonder if they are
misusing the term master for authoritative.

They are correct that more than one server "is needed in order to maintain
the availability of the domain should the Primary become unavailable."
It's a good idea to make sure that your DNS servers are physically
separated so a network failure does not block access to all of them.

I would just let zone transfers take care of keeping things in sync
instead of using rsync and a bunch of custom procedures to so it.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.