Checking for zone expiration?

Mike Hoskins michoski at cisco.com
Mon May 21 21:02:04 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu>
Date: Monday, May 21, 2012 12:59 PM
To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
Subject: Re: Checking for zone expiration?

>In article <mailman.837.1337627794.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
> Alan Batie <alan at peak.org> wrote:
>
>> We had a rather key zone mysteriously expire on a slave this morning -
>> the log files show a transfer a couple weeks ago, but it hadn't been
>> updated so there was no reason for one since and there were no log
>> entries about failed connection attempts.  I was wondering if there's a
>> way to check the remaining time on a zone for monitoring?  If you fetch
>> the SOA, you get the full ttl, for obvious reasons, not the server's
>> timer...
>
>Check the modification time of the zone file on the slave server, that's
>when it was last refreshed.
>
>--
>Barry Margolin
>Arlington, MA

as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat...  another
network-based way that doesn't involve local mtime checks would be
querying the master soa from your monitoring host, and then hitting each
slave on port 8080 (or whatever) via statistics-channels (if you enable
it) as mentioned earlier on the list.  the statistics view returns xml you
can parse which includes the zones and serials for each zone in each view
on the slave.