Delegations

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 20:19:21 UTC 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 2:31 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> I know of at least 2 commerically-available DNS maintenance systems that, by default, do not allow what they call "dotted hostnames", by which they mean a name which is at least 2 labels below a zone cut, e.g. "foo.bar" in the "example.com" zone. Their underlying assumption seems to be that *every* level of the hierarchy will, in the usual/typical/default case, be delegated.

As an employee of a company that makes a DNS management product, I can say that there is a strong temptation to think this way when designing such a product. We have mostly managed to avoid this type of stupidity, but I still get tripped up by it occasionally. When I find it, it gets logged as a bug report, of course, because we have plenty of customers who rely on "dotted records".

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks