Should Root Servers Always be Queried First? bind9.7.7

Michael Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Wed Nov 7 18:18:20 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----

From: Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu>
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:12 PM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Should Root Servers Always be Queried First? bind9.7.7

>If I do:
>
>dig @localhost +short +trace somehost.okstate.edu
>
>on a server authoritative for the okstate.edu domain, I would
>expect resolution via that authoritative system. I do get it but
>the query takes the scenic route and I get all the root name
>servers just as if the query was for some host outside our
>domains.
>
>	Why? We are having issues with random latency right now
>so I started checking everything I could and that is how I
>discovered this. I don't know if that is normal or not

as others have pointed out in the past, +trace and @server really don't
cooperate...  +trace always traces delegations from the root-down.  you
are seeing normal behavior.

  +[no]trace
  Toggle tracing of the delegation path from the root name servers
  for the name being looked up. Tracing is disabled by default. When
  tracing is enabled, dig makes iterative queries to resolve the name
  being looked up. It will follow referrals from the root servers,
  showing the answer from each server that was used to resolve the
  lookup.