Need to improve named performance

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Mon Nov 12 15:34:55 UTC 2012

On Nov 12, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Ed LaFrance <edl at connexinternet.com> wrote:

> I've been corresponding with several people on this issue but no one had questioned that when I pointed it out.

I don't think I'd seen the logging stanza, but yes, logging to syslog is a bad thing, and logging queries to syslog is even worse.  Having had someone pick this out of an strace output is indeed awesome.

> I really don't need this kind of logging in the messages log. I can turn on query logging in the named.conf if I need more detail on named. I think the simplest thing would just be to have an exclusion in the syslog config for named. I confess some general ignorance, so perhaps you know the directive for that?

To reduce the load on named in general, just turn off query logging in the named.conf, or, you can leave the stanza in and put a "querylog no;" in your options stanza so that it is not started when named starts (I'm not sure what version introduced the querylog option, so you may need to test this.

AlanC
Alan Clegg | +1-919-355-8851 | alan at clegg.com