User wanting to use a .local domain to host DNS

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 14 15:08:55 UTC 2012

King, Harold Clyde (Hal) <hck at utk.edu> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by a user request. I think he is trying to keep some
> hosts on the private side of DNS, but he wants to use a DNS name like
> host.sub.local. I do not know of the use of the .local TLD except in
> bonjure. Can anyone shed some light on the use of the .local TLD?

Microsoft have recommended its use for sites that don't have a properly
registered domain name. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296250

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.