User wanting to use a .local domain to host DNS

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Wed Nov 14 22:19:44 UTC 2012

On 14/11/12 17:50, btb wrote:
> On 2012.11.14 10.02, King, Harold Clyde (Hal) wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused by a user request. I think he is trying to keep some
>> hosts on the private side of DNS, but he wants to use a DNS name like
>> host.sub.local. I do not know of the use of the .local TLD except in
>> bonjure. Can anyone shed some light on the use of the .local TLD?
>
> this is a bad idea, plain and simple.  don't do it.  .local is
> reserved [as others have mentioned] for mdns/zeroconf, and while there
> may still be some undulation in the various documents which
> standardize it, it is in active, relatively prevalent use today.
>
> i repeatedly see demonstrable, reproducible problems which manifest in
> "mysterious" symptoms to those who do not understand the difference
> between dns and name resolution.  while dns itself does not care in
> the slightest what string a person might choose to use in a label
> [given of course the constraints of character sets in general], the
> various name resolution mechanisms used by a system's stub
> resolver/libraries risk being short circuited [dependent on the
> specifics of the configuration] by the mdns resolution mechanism if
> there is a .local reference.
I did this one time long ago, with the result that all MACs in the
network stopped working properly, they actually use that tld for their
own purposes. Once I switched to .home, everything started to work again
as expected.

So as others said: Don't Do This!  -  at least if you value your sleep.

> while there are no formally established "private" tlds, the closest
> thing to a consensus is to user either .site or .internal for this
> sort of thing.  that being said - i question the "necessity" of a
> special "internal" domain.  not only is it likely to generate
> confusion for users, rarely is this truly necessary, with the trivial
> expense of domain names [not to mention the probability of existing
> ownership anyway] and mechanisms like split horizon/views.
>
> -ben

Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: