Change in statistics format

Carsten Strotmann cas at strotmann.de
Thu Nov 15 16:58:03 UTC 2012

Hello John,

John Miller <johnmill at brandeis.edu> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> When did BIND 9 switch over from the older
>
> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (timestamp)
> success #
> referral #
> nxrrset #
> nxdomain #
> recursion #
> failure #
> --- Statistics Dump --- (timestamp)
>
> to the newer
>
> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (timestamp)
> ++ Incoming Requests ++
>                x QUERY
> ++ Incoming Queries ++

[...]

> I'm getting ready to file a bug for our monitoring software (Hyperic
> HQ), because it only reads the older format, and wanted to be sure I
> had my ducks in a row.

I'm not sure in which version this change of the output happen, but if
you write a bug report for the monitoring system, you might want to ask
the vendor/developer to also implement an option to parse the BIND
statistics channel output data.

The statistics channel delivers well formed XML, which (in my view) is
much easier to parse compared to the text output produced by "rndc
stats". With proper XML parsing, it should also guard against issues in
case the statistics data be expanded in the future.

And as a bonus, there is much more interesting data in the statistics
channel XML.

-- Carsten