Upstart job for BIND9

Carsten Strotmann cas at strotmann.de
Thu Nov 29 10:48:53 UTC 2012

Hello Alexander,

Alexander Gurvitz <alex at net-me.net> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to run a bind9 from an upstart job instead of an init.d
> script.
> I'm a bit confused if I should "expect fork" or "expect daemon". It
> seems
> to work with "expect fork", though somehow I don't feel convinced.
>
> (Upstart must know how the daemon forks - if it forks once,
> "expect fork" should be specified, and if a daemon forks twice,
> it should be "expect daemon". Then upstart will wait for that forkings
> and
> will monitor the final PID).

my experience is:

named starts as user "root", forks a new instance as the non-privileged
user (if started as a non-privileged user like "bind" or "named"). The
original instance (running as root) stays until the non-privileged
instance has successfully loaded all zones, then it the original
instance terminates, and only the non-privileged process continues to
run.

If you have succeeded with the upstart job, would you share it with us
(it would be useful as a contribution to the BIND distibution as well)?

-- Carsten