Moving BIND from Solaris to Linux

Fajar A. Nugraha work at fajar.net
Mon Oct 1 13:20:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Graham Butler <g.butler at hud.ac.uk> wrote:
> We are currently looking at replacing our Solaris boxes with a flavour of
> Linux to run BIND with a focus on Red Hat and Ubuntu. I am trying to collect
> some evidence to which OS is being used to run BIND and why, before we make
> a decision. Could you please respond by sending me, or the list, information
> on which OS you are using to run BIND and any information on why your
> decided to run it on that particular platform.
>

> I am also asking other list for similar information on Squid, Exim, Apache,
> etc…….

Searching "unix linux migration" in Google would probably save you
lots of time instead of waiting for list responses.

Anyway, in my past experience, the bigesst difference was not so much
the OS, but rather the hardware. x86 (or rather, amd64) kick other
platform's a**, performance-wise, on hardware with relatively-similar
budget.

When you mostly run "popular" open source software, running it on
Linux would usually offer additional advantage of making your life
easier since the distro maintainers would take care of providing
up-to-date or secure-enough packages.

--
Fajar